Artist of the Week: Irving Penn

 

 Irving Penn


What I found most interesting about Irving Penn's photos was that each portrait background had lighter and darker corners which give an ominous feeling. I would categorize Penn's works as artistic portraits. I have seen this photo of Kennedy before, and it always reminds me of the stress that the Kennedy Administration had been through in his one term.
Penn's works use the grayscale and the contrast between light and dark to enhance the portraits, unlike many other portrait photographers. I would say that I like this monochromatic photo style. I would also say that Penn's works could be replicated though the photographer would need a perfect subject.

“A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart, and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it.; it is one word, effective.”

I agree with this quote. If you should be one thing, it's effective. I have always believed that. The entire point of doing something is to be affective in the task's primary goal, so the most effective path is the best path. I agree that a good photograph should be effective over all else. A good photo should leave the viewer changed effectively.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Project

Reflections Project

Artist of the Week: Peter Lindbergh