Artist of the Week: Francesca Woodman

 

 Francesca Woodman




I think that the main inspiration from these shots is mental health. Her story is also really interesting. I would say that Woodman's works are artistic portraits. These works remind me of someone like Gregory Crewdson or Nick Knight, with the dark ambiance attributed to the themes of each photo. I like her works.
          
If someone reproduced Woodman's works, the process could be replicated, although I would hope it would not be.  From what I can assume, these ideas were brought from a dark place in Woodman's mins, which I hope would be remedied in present day, through the suppressing of the stigma that surrounds mental health.

“You cannot see me from where I look at myself.”
 
You never know what someone else is going through at a given point in time. I agree with this statement, and I am glad that the stigma surrounding mental health is actively being removed, with millions of people of all ages seeking help for their mental health. I also think that there is still a lot that we don't talk about surrounding mental health for men.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Project

Reflections Project

Artist of the Week: Peter Lindbergh