Artist of the Week: Josef Sudek

 

 Josef Sudek

In my mind, these photos seemed fairly unimpressive until I learned that Sudek lost a limb fighting in the first world war.  I would categorize his works as still-life portraits.  I think that his works are a bit more simplistic than many I have seen, although that is to be expected as Sudek is working with five less fingers.  His works still level other famous photographers like Charles Steeler.  I like Sudek's works, primarily because of his story.  I think that someone could reproduce Sudek's works, though they would not have as much character from the story of the photographer, so would therefore be less strong works.  
            

“Everything around us, dead or alive, in the eyes of a crazy photographer, mysteriously takes on many variations, so that a seemingly dead object comes to life through light and its surroundings.”
 
This is what a crime scene photographer would say to try to defend the artistry in their profession, but would fall upon deaf ears. This concludes my thoughts about this quote.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Project

Reflections Project

Artist of the Week: Peter Lindbergh