Artist of the Week: Steve McCurry

 

 Steve McCurry

I've seen Steve McCurry's works before.  This is the first artist of the week that I can say that with the utmost certainty.  I like his close-up, in-the-moment style of portraits, and the color photos adds detail and nuance to each work.  His works seem far less staged than works from other artists seen from previous segments of these posts, like David LaChapelle or Nick Knight.  
I do think that someone could make works along the same lines as Steve McCurry, but they would definitely need to use a film camera to get the same outcome as opposed to a digital camera.  I think that the photo on the left-hand side is one of my favorite works that I have seen from these projects.  The man has a great mustache.

“What is important to my work is the individual picture. I photograph stories on assignment, and of course they have to be put together coherently. But what matters most is that each picture stands on its own, with its own place and feeling.”


 I agree with this concept.  The strongest teams usually have some of the strongest members, but also complement other members of the team.  But, he proves this method through is works, where although I do not know the assignments he had been given, I can comprehend the powerful messages behind each shot.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Project

Reflections Project

Artist of the Week: Peter Lindbergh